Sunday, March 21, 2010

What's been up

Concerts:
First of all, don't judge me that I went and saw Backstreet Boys! Yeah they are old school, and yeah they are a boy band, but they are good fun and I bet you know all the words to at least 5 of their songs too. Michelle, her sister Andrea, a friend Brooke, and I all went up to Auckland on Thursday to see them. They did all the old dance moves and sang their big hits from the 90's.

On Sunday of the same week we went and saw Lady Gaga preform, also in Auckland. WOW! She was so amazing. She wore like 10 different costumes, had a flaming piano, 20 or so back-up dancers, and more props than I've ever seen. It was mesmerizing and the best performance I've ever seen.


Adventure:
This past weekend Michelle, Jason and I went for a big hike. We drove down south on Saturday, spent the night in a hostel, and then did the Tongariro Crossing on Sunday. The hike is about 7 hours and the area was formed by a series of volcanic eruptions. The hike up as pretty steep and windy, but when you get to the top there is the Red Crater to your right and the Emerald lakes below you. It was beautiful. We had a little picnic just next to one of the lakes and, though it smelled of sulfur, it couldn't have been nicer. We had an amazing day for hiking as well, not a cloud in the sky. Amazing!

A few weekends ago we went for a day at the beach only to arrive and find it closed due to a tsunami warning; Oops! We spent the day at McClaren Falls instead, which was just as cool. The rocks had made little pools to swim in. A day of swimming, laying in the sun and picnics.


Life:
The long, tedious wait is over and I am finally employed again!! It took A LOT of searching and applying, but I now have not one, but 2 jobs! I'm relief teaching at daycare centers Monday- Wednesday and then working at Grace Cafe Thursdays and Fridays. The relief teaching is on-call, so I don't always get a job, but so far it has been working out pretty well. I'm enjoying both of my jobs and it has been nice having an income again!

Also, I joined a soccer team. The past to weekends were try-outs and I found out last week that I made the A team! Woo Hoo! Our first game is April 11th, and so we have started out by-weekly practices. It has been so nice playing soccer again, I've really missed it. Can't wait to get the season underway.

I spent my 26th birthday here in NZ as well. It was great, besides the getting old part. Michelle made me a scavenger hunt to find a dress she gave me. I had 2 cakes and dinner at Michelle's parent's house. My parent's and Kate sent me b-day packages which was awesome. Got lots of presents and ate too much; couldn't be better!

On the occasional night I do make my way into town as well.


Blast from the past:
These are a few photos I stole from Michelle that I thought shouldn't be missed out on. Just wanted to remind you what it's like to have Christmas in summer :) A day spent in the sun, playing a little soccer and watching Michelle's granddad open his presents (isn't he the cutest)! The last photos is over New Years, just before I went to the south island for my big trip. We stopped off at a place called "Whitty Farm" (pronounced Fitty Farm) to see all the animals. I got to see and feed llamas, sheep, pigs, rabbits, and all kinds of little guys. I wasn't as scared as I look. haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment