Monday, October 26, 2009

My first road trip!!

Monday was Labor day in NZ, meaning long weekend!! I had to work Friday and Saturday, but I had Sunday and Monday off with my flatmates. We went on my first road trip in NZ. Here's the first picture I took at an overlook on the side of the road. You might not be able to tell from the photo, but it was really quite beautiful!

3 of my flatmates and I drove to a place referred to simply as, The Mount, or also known as Mount Maunganui. We hiked up The Mount to look over the beach town below. There were sheep of course. This country is lathered in sheep and cows. I've heard there are 13x more sheep than people in NZ!! Anyways, after the hike we found a hotel and were ready to eat. We spent the evening hanging out in the hotel where I found myself extremely sleepy for some reason and went to bed before all of them.

The next day we drove to Waihi beach, the town where Michelle lived when she was a kid. Then next to Karangahake Gorge. Along the gorge was a path that a tram once drove. There were tunnels built into the walls of the gorge for the old tram and when you walked in them, it was darker than dark. I, of course, was scared and had to hold Michelle's hand the whole time. On the ceiling in the tunnels where glow worms! They looked like little laser points all along the top. The place was really cool.

The last stop before heading back to Hamilton was Paeroa. We stopped just for a few minutes,but I was told every tourist had to have a photo in front of the huge L&P bottle. L&P is a NZ soda made in the town of Paeroa. I forced them to take the picture with me!!

2 comments:

  1. quite beautiful? When did you start talking all fancy and stuff? It's time to come back to the south!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    Seems like you are jumping right into it. Sounds like a beautiful place to live and visit. Once again I am living vicariously through you. Keep sending great photos and am glad you were so successful in finding empoloyment so quickly. Hope you experience everything and more in New Zealand, Love ya, Cara

    ReplyDelete